The Crown Building is a 25-story plus penthouse steel-framed masonry building. Designed by Warren and Wetmore and built in 1921, it was one of the first buildings constructed after the setback provisions of the 1916 Zoning Resolution. Originally the Hecksher Building, it housed the first gallery of the Museum of Modern Art in 1929. The French Renaissance style tower portion is the striking element with stone and terra cotta banding, dormers, gilded ornamentation, and an elegant chimney stack. A large ornamental rooster weathervane capped the impressive tower though was removed in 1942, to be melted for the war effort.
CANY provided FISP investigation of the spire and facades using Industrial Rope Access. Based upon the results of the FISP investigation, CANY prepared comprehensive façade repair and maintenance construction documents and provided construction administration / progress inspection for extensive terra-cotta and masonry repairs, including reconstruction of the four major tower dormers and complete re-gilding work throughout the exterior.