2 Rector Street Built in 1905 for the US Express, 2 Rector Street was designed by Clinton and Russell, the firm behind the original Hotel Astor and the Beaver Building – a lookalike of the Flatiron in Lower Manhattan.
The façade is limestone with intricate terracotta ornamentation on the upper levels that are reminiscent of Mayan iconography, mixed with the requisite frequent deployment of federal eagles as well. In 1927, three additional floors were added to the top of the structure that mixes in seamlessly with the original. Although not a distinct landmarked building in its own right, the tower certainly adds to the charm of the Lower Manhattan skyline.
CANY has provided multiple services over several years, including conducting FISP Investigations via IRA for FISP Cycle 7C, preparing a report noting conditions observed as well as recommendations and associated time frames for repairs. In 2015, a $3MM façade repair campaign began that included substantial terra cotta repair and replacement, lintel replacement, and repairs at the spandrel beams at the brick courtyard facades. CANY developed construction documents for both the facade repair as well as a subsequent roof replacement at the 2nd and 3rd Floors, and an exterior lighting installation. Quality control services for the window repair and rehabilitation project were also completed by CANY.
CANY continues to perform consulting services for the building management, including its most recent FISP Cycle 8C Investigation via IRA. CANY worked closely with the Trust for Architectural Easements, which holds a façade easement on the property, which reviewed and approved all façade repairs during the 18-month project.