The Crown Building is a 25-story plus penthouse steel-framed masonry building. Designed by Warren and Wetmore and built in 1921, it was one of the first buildings constructed after the setback provisions of the 1916 Zoning Resolution. Originally the Hecksher Building, it housed the first gallery of the Museum of Modern Art in 1929. The French Renaissance style tower portion is the striking element with stone and terra cotta banding, dormers, gilded ornamentation, and an elegant chimney stack. A large ornamental rooster weathervane capped the impressive tower though it was removed in 1942, to be melted for the war effort. CANY provided FISP investigation and repair services, as well construction administration for the gilding work throughout the exterior.